Teardrop week 8

It has been some time since my last progress report. That’s due to the fact that I messed up and wanted to fix it before I said anything, mostly because I didn’t want to declare my ignorance, however inevitable.

Waltzing into any large project without a plan will eventually come back to get you, I know that now. I reached the point of constructing my hatch and I got stuck. I was clueless on how I was going to make it work. The problem is that the trim on my countertop extends nearly to the edge of my walls, leaving little room for vertical spars to support the hatch. So, for a few days I researched the issue. However, most people building teardrops account for this issue before they even begin. My solution: avoid the issue.

I decided to take a break for a week and work on a smaller project. I ended up making a chess set box (also with no plans) and it turned out okay.

  
But when that project came to a close, my issue was still present. Although, it give me time to arrive at an apiphany.

I realized that I could cut the spars to the curve, then notch out the space needed for the trim. This,  of course, made the wood very weak, but I was able to beef up the sectioned out area by gluing more wood to either side of the spar.


This gives the curves (hopefully) enough durability to maintain their structure when I add the exterior skin to it.

On the outer spars, I glued a slim strip that will help to seal out the weather when closed.


Now, I have to wait for my 4′ hurricane hinge to Come in the mail  so I can finish up my measurements. Once that is done, I will glue/screw in the horizontal spars and add the exterior skin.

The other thing I did was throw on two coats of oil based primer to the roof. This will help prevent condensation from rotting the interior skin. The next step for the roof is to add insulation and glue the exterior skin on.


Problem averted, for now.

Until next time,

Hank